Thursday, June 3, 2021

Summer Heat

As I’ve talked about multiple times, I grew up in the Sacramento Valley of Northern California, and let me tell you. it. is. hot! Global warming aside, the average temperatures in the summer is 95-100 degrees. We have well over 100+ degrees many times from May-October. I am now happily living in Port Angeles, Washington and enjoying the ‘hot’ days of ~75-80 (these are rare). 


This sock pattern (Summer Heat) was designed with those burning hot days of California weather in mind. The up and down movement of the ‘v’ stitch pattern reminds me of heat waves coming off the roofs, the side walk, cars, pavement, etc… 



Summer Heat is designed from the top cuff down and has a fun slip stitch pattern to create the ‘v’ stitches. I used a BFL/Nylon blend from Hedgehog Fibres that is a traditional fingering weight for socks. I liked the play of almost variegation with the speckles on top and the stitch pattern. 


The majority of my test knitters used variegated yarn but I think this pattern would also look really lovely in a solid color. Any fingering weight sock yarn will do, doesn’t have to be anything special! 


Happy Knitting! 

No comments:

Post a Comment