Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Time for OFFF

Fall means it's festival season! As I previously wrote about (here) I vended at my first festival at the beginning of this month. This past weekend my mom and I made the trip down to Albany Oregon for Oregon Flock and Fiber Festival! We took a long weekend and treated ourselves to a short vacation. We usually stay in Airbnb's and this was no exception, I would highly recommend if you are looking for pet friendly easy-to-use vacation options. 


On Friday we drove and made a few stops in Portland (I'll have a blog post up about Starlight Knitting soon) and Saturday morning we visited the Albany farmers market and it was lovely. So many options and vendors with wonderful products. We purchased new jelly to try (Oregon Strawberry and Rose) and some dried mushroom packets to add to soup this fall. 

Once we arrived at the festival I needed to go on a vendor hunt because I had samples to drop off! This OFFF was the first time I had samples at a festival and it was really exciting. I thoroughly enjoyed talking to knitters as I dropped my samples off and complimenting the dyers on such wonderful yarn. 

We spent most of our day surrounded my the wonderful colors from different vendors, all the fibers were a joy to see and feel. On Sunday we stopped in at the animal barn first and said hello to all the sheep, goats, and llamas that were there. 


I was especially enamored with the Pygora and cashmere goats. Here is a bit of history about the Pygora goat which is a cross breed between the Pygmy and Angora goats, they were adorable and so soft! Then we got to feel the cashmere goats, OMG they felt amazing! It was interesting to see the dark cashmere because most often in stores there is a cream base or dyed cashmere but the dark color was lovely. 



We also took a short class on Sunday! Wooly Walkers is a punch needle vendor who participates in many shows on the western half of the US. My mom was particularly interested in them when they were at Fiber Expo with us a few weeks ago. Before she invested into the supplies we took a 1.5 hours class and made a mug rug, it was great fun! 



I enjoyed finding another way to play with fiber and color and I think rug hooking could be a great way to use leftovers. After our class my mom did invest in a hoop, some fabric, and a couple of patterns so that she can pursue a new hobby this winter. The rest of the afternoon we spent people watching before I needed to pick up my samples at the end of the day. 


We ended our weekend trip on Monday and found an apple farm and pumpkin patch to go and feel all the fall vibes. It was a lovely little farm/orchard name Beilke Family Farm and picked apples to our hearts content! They had information area set up to let you know what apples will work for what you want. We picked cripps pink, granny smith, and a few red apples; these are all good for baking, storing, and applesauce. Along with our apples we also each picked a warty pumpkin for our houses. 



I would highly recommend making a trip to OFFF if you can, the venders were highly quality and the venue was easy to navigate. There was a large amount of seating and space between rows as well as a separate room for classes and the art gallery. Start your fall off right and make a stop at OFFF, maybe you'll get to see me there as a vendor soon?!? 

No comments:

Post a Comment