Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Game Plan for a Yarn Show

I visit lots of shops and yarn shows each year. Most of my experience is as a shopper and now I'm learning as a vendor. So here is a short guide to visiting a yarn show so you can have a great time! 

1. I like to do a bit of research beforehand. I want to know which vendors are going to be present at the show and what they sell. Along with researching beforehand I print out a map of the venue/vendor booths and mark which ones I really wanted to see and a small note on why. 

2. Wear good walking shoes! Most yarn shows are at convention centers or fairgrounds and the ground is unstable or concrete. Save your feet and knees and wear good shoes. 

3. Food at shows can be pricey and not all that great. Save your money for more yarn and bring your own lunch, snacks, and water, your wallet will thank you. 

4. Going into so many different booths can be so overwhelming, I like to print the first page of my pattern that tells me yardage and weight and have that with me. I know what I wanted to make and can look for yarn specifically for that pattern and know I have enough yardage to make it instead of guessing. 

5. If you're on a budget, bring cash! 

6. If you are a new, old, or aspiring yarny business, bring business cards! Shows are a great way to get your name out there and get information for collaborations. (Almost all the businesses in my quarterly knitting subscription I met and mingled with at FlockFiber in 2022.) 

Hope these tips help you have a great yarn show experience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment