Wednesday, January 10, 2024

Long Nights Shawl

If you've been around for awhile you know I grew up in California and moved to Washington's Olympic Peninsula in spring of 2021. I absolutely love where I live in WA but some of the winter nights are so long

My newest shawl pattern is inspired by those long winters nights! Long Nights is a top down triangle shawl using DK weight yarn for a heavier and very squishy shawl that is perfect to knit on long dark nights and wear on those nights too! 


Long Nights has a simple pattern that incorporates both garter and stockinette so it really shows off hand dyed yarn in those two different stitches. I used DK+ from Puzzle Tree Yarns which is a 100% Superwash Merino wool base. I love how squishy and warm the original sample is. 

I suggested in the pattern some alternatives that can be used. You could use a a mohair or suri alpaca blend held with a fingering weight yarn to make DK or a Sport weight yarn held with a lace weight. This would be a fun way to marl a project or knit Long Nights with a few different colors if you feel like you don't have enough yardage in your stash. 


Long Nights was going to originally be called 'Because I Can' because there is a two stitch spine instead of a more traditional single stitch. Long Nights came as I was knitting the sample and how calming it was to knit in the transition between fall and winter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment