Monday, August 22, 2022

Book Review: Knitting Yarns

College burnt me out on reading, I was a history major so the majority of my schooling was reading, reading, and more reading. I became a very proficient skimmer and then once I graduated I was 100% burnt out. But, one of my best friends is a voracious reader and I knew I needed to up my game. 

This year my goal is to read 10 books. I'm right on track so far! So another knitting themed book has been added to the pile. Knitting Yarns edited by Ann Hood is an anthology of knitting essays written by writers who knit; and for me it was far from my favorite style. 


Each essay individually was entertaining and pertained to knitting but they were all so different within that theme that I felt the book was a bit disjointed. There were essays by people who had learned to knit as children, who taught their children how to knit, people who knit through grief, and even people who learned to knit for their dogs. 

With all of the different essay I would have preferred a little more of a timeline set up for the book, maybe the people who learned to knit as children, then as adults, then teaching their children, then ending with the one who knit through grief, similar to a life span? Whatever it was, the book was well written but for me, not well formatted. I would give the overall book a 3 out of 5. 

Ann Hood has another anthology of the same style and I do want to give it a try but I think I need a few more books in-between before I start it. My next book isn't a knitting themed book, I'm reading Mediocre: The Dangerous Legacy of White Male America by Ijeoma Olou, and I'm so looking forward to the education I'm about to receive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment